Market Development Manager – Belgium
Responsible to: General Manager – United Kingdom and Benelux
Department: Market Development Team (MDT)
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Contract: Full Time is preferable. However, ASC supports remote and flexible working opportunities
Location: Preferably Belgium working remotely. Approximately 1 day every 2 weeks working from the ASC office in Utrecht, Netherlands. Candidates from other locations may also be considered if skills and experience align i.e. Netherlands or Northern France
ASC is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established in 2010 to set and operate global standards for responsible aquaculture. Certified farmed products are promoted to consumers through the use of its ASC-logo.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with this expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivises improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood and encourages an industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility.
We work across the globe with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientists, conservation groups and the public to make it very easy to recognize and buy farmed seafood that meets the highest environmental standards.
Are you a hands-on Market Development expert who would like to join a fast-paced and international market development team of experts in aquaculture? Do you want to get involved in promoting sustainable seafood to a growing global population? Now is your chance to be part a dynamic team that is working on increasing consumer awareness of the ASC and responsibly farmed seafood generally, as well as expanding and deepening the commercial uptake of the ASC certification and labelling programme through engaging with partners including retailers, seafood brands and suppliers.
Approximately 60% of your time will be dedicated to raising consumer awareness of the ASC label and the role that the ASC plays in delivering solutions to the social and environmental challenges of aquaculture. Much of this work will involve the running of communication and marketing campaigns with partners such as retail or other NGO’s. The remaining 40% will be spent on deepening and expanding the uptake of ASC’s certification and labelling programme, primarily by engaging and servicing commercial partners such as retail, seafood brands and suppliers.
We are looking for someone with strong networking and communication skills, who is able to drive uptake of the ASC label in the market with commercial partners, increase label awareness and trust with the consumer audience, and team up with a diverse range of non-commercial partners to support the ASC mission, which is to guide the aquaculture sector towards sustainability.
Raising consumer awareness of the ASC label and the role that the ASC plays in delivering a responsible solution for aquaculture:
- Lead, coordinate and execute the annual ASC consumer awareness campaign in Belgium.
- Create and implement a social media strategy, based on the global ASC social media strategy.
- Maintain and add to the Belgian ASC website.
- Monitor media and press channels to position the ASC programme, write press releases and respond to media inquiries within Belgium.
- Support commercial partners and other NGO’s in their communication and marketing needs.
Deepening and expanding the uptake of ASC’s certification and labelling programme:
- Key account management.
- Expand and maintain relationships with commercial partners to increase the uptake of ASC labelled seafood.
- Expand and maintain relationships with NGOs, other certification programmes and consumer organisations to build trust and awareness around the ASC certification programme and its label.
- Engage commercial and non-commercial partners in ASC’s relevant standards and assurances projects to further improve and develop our programme.
Desirable qualifications & experience:
- Experience in digital marketing (consumer campaign activities) and prior experience in key account management is highly desirable.
- Experience with social media management and content development is advantageous.
- Ability to write briefings and build effective relationships with creative agencies.
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills, as evidenced by your ability to cultivate and manage relationships with partners.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and having the natural ability to interact with a diverse range of people.
- Diplomatic approach and ability to linking a ‘business reality’ with the vision and mission of the ASC programme.
- Demonstrable organizational skills.
- Self-motivated and comfortable to work independently with a high degree of personal responsibility.
- Passion for sustainability and strong affinity with ASC’s vision and mission.
- An established network in the seafood and/or sustainability sector is desirable.
To be highly successful in this role you will need to be ideally native in Flemish or have strong professional capability. Excellent written and spoken English is also essential with good understanding of written and spoken French.
Benefits / Work Perks
Join a fun and dynamic global team focused on setting and supporting global standards for responsible and sustainable aquaculture for future generations to come! You will also get;
- To be part of an organisation who are really making a difference!
- ASC supports remote & flexible working opportunities
- Minimum of 25 days holiday
- Competitive benefits
- Workstation grant
- Flexible fitness / wellbeing grant
- Paid time to volunteer, up to 6 days per year
- All staff team retreats
- Employee recognition awards
- 1 free coffee a week, on us!
The ASC works across different time zones so the pattern of hours may vary according to operational needs. Some domestic and international travel and overnight stays will be required.
Application and Selection
Please send your cover letter and CV in English by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your CV and cover letter will be reviewed and a short list of candidates will be invited for initial interviews. Successful candidates may be asked to prepare additional written materials and/or a presentation.
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of choice that reflects the global community and therefore welcomes applications from all underrepresented groups.