Feed CAR & RUoC
The objective of this project was twofold:
- The development of comprehensive assurance documents for Feed Mills (i.e., the UoC) who will be implementing the ASC Feed Standard and
- The development of comprehensive assurance documents for the Conformity Assessment Bodies (CABs) who will provide certification services.
These requirements are included in two documents:
- The ASC Requirements for Unit of Certification (RUoC v1.0) – For feed mills
- The ASC Certification and Accreditation Requirements (CAR V1.0) – For CABs
Both documents are normative and the separation of requirements for CABs and UoC’s will allow clearer communication and comprehension of specific requirements for each entity.
Following initial draft, both documents were published for a 60-day public consultation from the 1st of September to the 31st of October 2021. The outcome and learnings from the public consultation were considered in preparing the final versions of the ASC Feed CAR and RUoC documents. The Technical Advisory Group (TAG) recommended to approve the Feed CAR v1.0 and Feed RUoC v1.0 in March 2022. Which was subsequently approved for release by ASC’s Supervisory Board in June 2022.
Feed CAR & RUoC
The ASC Feed CAR v1.0 and the ASC Feed RUoC v1.0 are structured to follow the certification process of a feed mill from initial application, through the audit process, to certification decision. It also includes additional surveillance and certification requirements. The structure and style of the feed assurance documents is aligned with the farm CAR and RUoC with all applicable requirements transposed directly. This will ensure uniformity across ASC documents with deviation only where necessary to implement the specific Feed Standard requirements.
New elements were added to the feed RUoC to compliment the feed Standard requirements and provide a consistent approach for feed mills.
- Competency requirements for those conducting Due Diligence using Pathway 2: Sector Assessment or Pathway 3: Ingredient Manufacturer Assessment
- Ingredient approval process
- Mass Balance and Segregation Production Models and associated requirements.
The ASC Feed CAR v1.0 and ASC Feed RUoC v1.0 was approved for release by the Supervisory Board in June 2022. Following the release on July 14th 2022, the CAB accreditation process can begin and feed mills can begin to implement the requirements of the Feed RUoC document.
A 6-month implementation timeframe for these new requirements is provided to CABs and applicant feed mills. The ASC Feed CAR and RUoC will become effective from January 14th 2023 . During this implementation timeframe ASC will provide training to the CAB auditors and the applicant feed mills to guide the interpretation and implementation of requirements.
Contact person: Jennifer Glancy – ASC Programme Assurance Manager
[Page last updated on 14.07.2022]