Environmental Standards Coordinator
Department: Standards and Science (SAS)
Location: United Kingdom OR Utrecht, Netherlands. This role is home / remote working so applications from other locations may be considered if skills and experience align.
Contract: Full Time, however ASC supports flexible working opportunities
Salary: Competitive with great benefits
What would I be responsible for?
This amazing opportunity will facilitate an essential step toward achieving the ASC’s vision of a world where aquaculture plays a major role in supplying food and social benefits for humanity whilst minimising negative impacts on the environment. Our new Environmental Standards Coordinator will will focus on contributing to the development of our environmental system within the ASC Standards by ensuring access to essential knowledge, grounding the standards in scientific research, applying this within ASC and promote collaboration throughout a global network of stakeholders and organisations.
Standard Setting Process & Procedures:
- Facilitate continued development of the ASC standards on environmental-related topics in line with the ASC Standard Setting Procedure.
- Lead revision work on the topics of benthic impacts and water quality; including contributing to technical work groups, writing indicators, establishing methodologies and defining data requirements.
- Provide risk oversight of impacts associated with potential changes into future versions of the ASC standard requirements of environmental-related topics.
Standards Management & Relationships:
- Provide technical leadership on environmental-related topics associated with aquaculture and ASC requirements.
- Lead the content development of environmental-related topics of the Risk Management Framework.
- Support the Standards, Impacts and Research Teams on research, analysis of impacts and other projects related to environmental topics.
- Lead the development of a systematic method for collaboration with relevant global stakeholders and organisations.
- Engage with the aquaculture industry, including producers, conformity assessment bodies, NGOs and others, to communicate and solicit feedback on ASC’s environmental needs.
- Provide updates on standards-related workstreams to ASC colleagues and stakeholders.
- Represent ASC in engaging presentation of our approach to developing environmental-related topics to diverse audiences e.g. in conferences, training, workshops etc.
- Work independently using rigorous science-based processes.
- Engage pro-actively with colleagues with an open communication style, identifying and resolving areas of differing views effectively.
- Produce high-quality written and verbal reports, briefings, background documents, presentations and other outputs.
- Take the lead in preparing scientific reports, materials, posters etc. for publishing or presentation, making this easy to understand, engaging and relevant for our audiences.
Desired Education / Experience / Skills
- Degree level qualified (or above) in related environmental sciences e.g. fisheries, aquaculture, resources management.
- Prior work experience in related field / role / NFP / NGO would be highly desirable.
- Fluent in spoken and written English. Proficiency in a second language would be considered a big advantage.
- Proficient in using Office software packages e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Have a passion for scientific issues surrounding sustainable aquaculture development and environmental conservation (and the role certification plays in this).
- A strong and resilient researcher, connector and creative expert in this field of work with a people-centered and diplomatic approach.
Our Work Perks!
This is a perfect opportunity for someone looking to join a fun and energetic global team focused on setting and supporting global standards for responsible and sustainable aquaculture for future generations to come! You will also get;
- To be part of an organisation who are really making a difference!
- Flexible / Remote working opportunities
- Minimum of 25 days holiday
- Competitive benefits
- Workstation grant
- Flexible fitness / wellbeing grant
- Paid time to volunteer, up to 6 days per year
- All staff team retreat
- Employee recognition awards
- 1 free coffee a week, on us!
The ASC works across different time zones so the pattern of hours may vary according to operational needs. Some domestic and international travel and overnight stays may be required occasionally.
Application and Selection
Please e-mail your cover letter and CV, in English, to: email@example.com Your CV and cover letter will be considered, and we will make a shortlist of candidates to invite to interview. Sometimes you may be asked to prepare additional written materials, past work examples and / or a presentation. Interviews will generally be held remotely via Teams.
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of choice, reflecting the global community and therefore particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.