Salt and pepper abalone
September 25, 2022
Recipes Salt and pepper abalone
- 5 ASC certified abalone
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup corn flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 chili
- 1 lemon myrtle or kaffir lime leaf
- 1lt frying oil (vegetable, grape seed)
Medium Prep: 30 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes
Recipe by Guy Turland, Bondi Harvest @chefguyturland
- Make kimchi mayo by blending kimchi and mayo together until smooth.
- Place live abalone in an ice slurry for 15 minutes.
- Shuck – Face the sharp thin edge of the abalone towards you. Using a tablespoon, place the spoon against the muscle in the middle of the shell where it is attached, scoop out the flesh, the meat should just pop. Be careful not to cut yourself on the shell. Hold the shell down with the spoon and pull the meat back towards you and separate from the gut membrane. Using a sharp knife cut the membrane and clean the Abalone.
- Tenderize – Place your abalone between a clean tea towel or paper towel, then with a meat mallet, rolling pin or back of a heavy based pot tenderize your abalone for about 1 minute.
- Wash the abalone shell in hot water ready to use as a serving dish!
- Gently wipe off the sticky residue from the abalone meat with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture, Then carefully slice 2mm tick.
- Preheat the oil in a deep pot suitable for frying on high heat (180°C/350°F).
- Whilst the oil is heating up, combine the ingredients for the crispy coating, mix well with a fork.
- Coat each piece of abalone well.
- Frying in small batches to ensure your oil stays hot, for each batch add a few leaves of lemon myrtle, garlic slices and chili, fry on high heat for about 1-2 minutes, flipping after 30 seconds.
- Remove using a slotted spoon and place on some kitchen towel to absorb extra moisture and oil.
- Serve immediately with some extra white pepper with kimchi mayo and lemon